Re: More desktop security thoughts (was Re: GNOME privilege library)

On Thu, 2005-13-01 at 22:19 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 21:03 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Not a family I know.
>
> I'll have to introduce you to mine sometime ;)
>
> > What about your 8 year old kid finding your porn collection ?
>
> Hey, they'll find out about porn at some point anyway :)
>
> I don't actually have an 8 year old kid nor a porn collection (honest!)
> but anyway that's what the selective restriction I was talking about is
> for. By all means have some way of marking files as private, or
> available only to users XYZ (so ACLs on files I guess) but I think for
> the typical home/family setup the default should be shared.

Which strikes me as a great way for some misbehaving process to walk
through everyones files and do bad things.  Users most probably don't
know what to protect by default.  I think your view is maybe a little
scary but I'm going to keep an open mind.  Carry on.

--
George Farris
george gmsys com