Re: Namespace on gnome-menus library

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:55:20 -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>> 	Yeah, maybe ... but that's more typing :-)
>>
>> 	Seriously, its a library which only will be used in the core desktop -
>> gnome-panel, control-center, bug-buddy currently - so I'm not worried
>> enough about namespace clashes to change it, really.
>
> Until someone links in another library that uses similar generic symbol
> names... namespacing is useful for a lot more things than API
> identification.  Libraries that don't namespace symbols cause way too
> many problems for users.

It already is namespaced with menu_tree, and if it's not gnome specific
code I don't really see why that's a problem.

Generally what causes bigger problems these days are libraries that don't
apply one-level symbol versioning. It'd be nice to get that used in more
libs but that's something that needs a Big Push with lots of nice
tutorials and docs on how to do it, I'm not seriously expecting Mark to
rummage through all the info+opinion out there to figure out how to do it.

I'd quite like to use the menu library in some non-gnome software so I
think the current names are fine :)