Re: autotools gives autopain

Hi,

Op Sat, 17 Dec 2005 13:37:00 -0500, schreef Tom von Schwerdtner:

> Another side of the same coin, how much further along would GNOME be if we
> weren't chained to autotools?

That's an interesting question :-)

Anyhow, I'm not pretending to know enough about this subject matter to
make authorative statements about it, but I came across the A-A-P project
today that I think is relevant:

http://www.a-a-p.org/
"A-A-P makes it easy to locate, download, build and install software. It
also supports browsing source code, developing programs, managing
different versions and distribution of software and documentation. This
means that A-A-P is useful both for users and for developers."
(interestingly, the site is maintained by Bram Moolenaar)

Furthermore, a Freshmeat article on alternatives for make:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1715/
and
http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1702/

I hope this is helpful to the discussion. :)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen