Re: autotools gives autopain

On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 18:41 +0100, Fernando Herrera wrote:

>    2) It's very slow. Automake regeneration is slow and configure scripts are.

I don't see how we can get around any speed issues here. The problem is
having to compile and run all of those little tests on the platform. Any
serious build system would want to compile and run the same sets of
tests to work out what manner of libc and such we have available.

>    3) It's difficult to maintain

I think simple documentation with clear examples would oft aid in
understanding.

>   a) They work on all the GNOME platform and OS combinations (Linux,
> FreeBSD, Hurd, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, AIX  x  i386, powepc,
> x64....)

Let us not forget Tru64 and IRIX on Alpha and MIPS (both of these have
some manner of support, in addition to being hell-on-earth platforms to
deal with for compatibility).

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA