Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 00:05 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> > Thoughts? Should xrdb be turned off by default?
>
>   IMHO a much better solution would be to simply delay running xrdb
> until after the splash screen disappears.  This way people can get at
> their business quicker, while xrdb runs in background.

  Sorry.  I replied before reading the full thread. :-\

  What you say about IO taking place later is true, but consider that a
typical user takes a few seconds to decide what to do after the desktop
"finishes loading".  Once the splash screen disappears and the file
manager and panel are fully loaded, it's as if the desktop was loaded.
That's what counts.

  Of course, I personally wouldn't object xrdb not being loaded by
default.  But I would be mad if there was no gconf option letting you
reenable it.  I would also be annoyed if I had to get rid of the
#define's.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic