Re: Removing xrdb for 10% startup win?

Sven Herzberg wrote:
Lorenzo Colitti writes:
Moving down the list of top culprits, my benchmarks show that xrdb (and the cpp it spawns) to be one of the worst, and indeed symlinking xrdb to /bin/true results in a ~10% reduction in startup time.

So why not just launch it some seconds after panel/nautilus? This way we improve user-visual startup time and keep the features that xrdb provides.

The point is, does anyone use these features?

Lazily loading xrdb also has its own problems, for example:

- You're not taking the I/O away, you're only moving it later, when
  the user is e.g. trying to launch a browser or an office application.
  So you're not actually improving the total time that users have to
  wait before getting any work done. This applies to every form of lazy

- Since xrdb applies settings, X applications started before xrdb is run
  would not have the settings applied, but applications started after it
  is run would.

Cheers,
Lorenzo