Re: Announcing: Project Ridley

<quote who="BJörn Lindqvist">

> > I don't really see much reason ever to break ABI for the forseeable
> > future.  There's essentially nothing stopping us from simply leaving
> > deprecated functions in there indefinitely, other than a fairly minor
> > memory footprint increase which will never be paged in anyway.
>
> If they are to remain forever then they aren't really deprecated.

Sure they are. Deprecated just means "don't use these in new projects, and
migrate away from them because at some stage they're going to break". When
we talk about leaving them in there "indefinitely", it just means we don't
really have an urge or interest in doing an ABI break quite so soon. Having
a healthy, longish deprecation period for these big chunks is a good thing!

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2006: Dunedin, New Zealand               http://linux.conf.au/

   "If the Internet really wanted to become sentient, it probably could."
                               - Raph Levien