Re: the future of the release team

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 13:20 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I agree with Mark that the release process has seemed to go quite well
> recently.  That's one reason why I was (and am, to be honest) reluctant
> to embrace changes in a process which appears, from the outside, to be
> working.

Hear Hear!

The recent GNOME release process has seemed to me to be the most
successful software release process I've ever seen. Anywhere. Software
ships on-time, translated, documented and fairly bug-free. There are
milestone dates for feature, ui, string and code freezes that are met.
There are procedures for breaking freezes that are followed and it looks
like often proposed freeze breakages aren't accepted. This is simply
amazing. Software never ships on time!

I know that its not particularly any specific processes carried out by
the release team, but a culture of responsiblity in the community that
is in the end responsible for this achievement but the release team has
done a great job nurturing this culture and providing the support and
infrastruture for developers, translators and documenters to deliver
their contributions on time.

So make whatever changes are needed internally in the team, but don't
forget that what you've been doing has been successful beyond my wildest
dreams.

Ian