Re: xorg 6.8 composite support?

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> <quote who="Florian Föbel">
>
> > All these problems can be solved by setting XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS to 1
> > when starting the app. Are there any plans at the moment to use this
> > variable for all apps that need it?  There will be a lot of complaints
> > about crashing/buggy Gnome apps because of this simple variable.
>
> The apps (or underlying libraries) need to be fixed in preference to setting
> the variable. I'm sure this will happen over the 2.10 period, if not before
> 2.8.1 [1].

Note there's a reason X R6.8 ships with Composite disabled by
default. The Composite extension in its current form is simply not
backwards compatible. When you add an alpha channel to a window (which
is more or less what ARGB_VISUAL means), you are changing the
semantics of drawing to that window.

That said, the mozilla bug that causes it to crash on Flash pages is a
genuine mozilla bug that has to be fixed - the ARGB visuals just
trigger it.

Søren