Re: Not OK computer:/// [was Re: Should Desktop = Home?]

 --- Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:02 +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> >
> > But see, this only makes sense and would be relevant if the stuff that
> > gnome-vfs calls URI-s were really that. Except they aren't. Calling
> > them URIs is just a shorthand and mostly derives from historic reasons
> > (and confusions).
>
> Yes. Its a bit unfortunate. It leads to problem such as assuming gnome-
> vfs should handle all the real-world strange uris out there such as
> mailto. However, it also has advantages in that it actually does
> correspond to normal uris in some cases, so there is some form of
> compatibility.

Its not really a large handicap, and in most cases doesn't really matter.
The place where it does get confusing is in anything (or discussion of)
that does support - or needs to support and handle - "real" URIs and
gnome-vfs. But I'm not even sure i theres any change we really need to
make right now as opposed to when we arrive at such a situation

>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
> He's a leather-clad gay cat burglar possessed of the uncanny powers of an
> insect. She's a green-fingered streetsmart bounty hunter with the power to
> bend men's minds. They fight crime!

=====
Open Source - the religion of doing it right