Re: RFC: Common desktop-wide paths

Alan Cox wrote:
On Sad, 2004-10-02 at 02:28, Marc O'Morain wrote:

The original proposal was to define a set of folders for storing files
created by the average desktop PC user. In my case these folders are
{Documents, Downloads, Photos, Music, Video}. I believe that this common
folderset would help the end-user to store and mange files more easily,
and would promote continuity across the desktop.
Aside from the philosophical debates nobody has solved the
internationalisation one even for the desktop folder yet. If I log in in
Welsh is the Sain folder the same as the Music folder in English. If
not, why not. If it is how are you implementing it.

Why not just do it as they seem to do in Mac OSX, the actual directory names on disk are in English and then translated in Nautilus only. So if you access your home directory by a powertool such as the terminal you go to ~/Desktop no matter if it's named Skrivbord (Swedish) in Nautilus.

I think this is a good enough solution since the terminal is a powertool and powerusers can easily learn to map between their locale and the english names for a couple of directories even if they don't know english.

Best Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Imendio AB, http://www.imendio.com/