Re: Some questions raised by 131010

Neil Stevens wrote:
The problem with CSDI is that the popular window managers can't handle it very well. Operations like hiding and moving an application to another desktop become inconvenient.

So what are we waiting for? Why don't people just improve the window manager? Why not just implement "raise all associated windows when one Gimp window is brought to the front" in Metacity? It can already do that with dialogs and utility windows, so how hard will it be to do the same thing for normal windows?

CSDI worked well on a Mac because its window manager was designed for and essentially forced, that behavior for all apps. The menu bar acted as the control window for each application.

So why not (partially) copy MacOS's "window manager"? I don't see what's keeping people from doing it. Why would anyone NOT want that kind of behavior? It can only be an improvement.

I'm mostly talking about Metacity. It IS the default GNOME window manager.