Re: ARC & GNOME [Was: How we make decisions...]

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 17:37 -0800, Edward Hunter wrote:
> Greetings, I'm one of the ARC (architecture review committee) chairs inside
> Sun and Brian Cameron has asked me for a few comments on the GEP process.  I've
> read some of the postings on it but I'm still digging in to various threads so
> my opinions will no doubt change over time.

Thank you for spending the time to do this.  Very much appreciated.

> The GEP process as defined in GEP-0 from 2002 seems to be more focused on the
> collection of product requirements than the discussion of architecture.

I can't comment on this.  I remember when we came up with it but I'm not
really qualified to have an opinion having never gone through one.

> Sun currently spends a lot of time and energy trying to ensure that the GNOME
> stack is as stable as possible via our internal process.  We think it might be
> more beneficial to review the GNOME stack from this perspective directly with
> the community.  If Sun were willing to work within the GEP process and were
> able to provide resources towards improving interface stability, would this be
> of interest to the community.  We at Sun are thinking that this could be a
> better approach than Sun trying to address these issues independently and we
> are wanting to know if there is also a community interest in this area.

This would be a wonderful and exciting idea if we could merge the
processes together and take advantage of the kind of expertise that Sun
can bring to the table here and help improve things.

I hope others are also likewise interested.

sri