MOUSE battery status applet

Hi all

There is gnome applet measuring the laptop battery status (reading
some files in the /proc filesystem). I think we need something similar
for wireless mice - they have batteries too. Someone pointed me to
lmctl utility which works with logitech mice - and, in particular,
shows the battery level. Unfortunately, it only works if some files in
/proc/bus/usb are writeable - which is generally not the case (because
of security reasone, sure). So, here are the questions:

1. In general, would such an applet be a useful addition?
2. If usb interaction is required - should we make distributions
responsible for making these files writeable (using hotplug scripts or
whatever)?
3. If not - what would be the proper way to access them - should we
create some interfaces on HAL level or something?

Any ideas/comments would be very welcome...

Cheers,

Sergey