Browsing deep hierarchies in spatial mode

What are people's thoughts on this? IMO, this simple improvement could
improve the GNOME spatial experience immensely.

I agree, as long that it is implemented correctly.
The resulted BeOS Tracker menu was very fast, very smooth and elegant, but a similar one I saw on KDE's Kicker panel some time ago, was clunky and had the resulted windows overlapping a few pixels over the previous ones, resulting in a very weird experience, after having used BeOS' Tracker... KDE's effort never took off because it didn't feel right.

If someone wants to take the challenge and code this, I would highly recommend install BeOS on an old machine first (pre-1GHz, just to be on the safe compatibility side) and have a look on how Tracker worked (tip: download OpenTracker from sourceforge, which is the latest version).

Eugenia