Re: Move to Workspace (Right | Left) Proposal

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 16:12:00 -0500, Britt Selvitelle <britt muchobs com> wrote:
> I'd like to discuss the removal of "Move to Workspace Right/Left" from
> the right click context menu for windows.
[...]
> I simply cannot see enough use
> cases to move it directly to the right or left to justify its own
> entries.

I use a setup with 4 workspaces in two rows, and still almost never
use the submenu. The move left/right fills probably 80-90% of my use
cases, and the rest I usually transfer with precision mousing (it's
awfully hard to catch little windows in the workspace browser, the
fisheye lens mentioned in this thread sounds interesting in this
context). In fact, if the submenu would be replaced with a dynamic
option to 'Move {up,down} and {left,right}' it would fill all use
cases that I have. Something to consider for the special case of 2x2
workspaces.

Submenus are evil, but a long initial menu (for all available moves)
is worse. I was toying with the idea of popping up the
ctrl-alt-arrow-"chooser" and allow the user click on destination
workspace, but I'm not sure how it would be best to activate. Perhaps
a single menu item or modifier+mouse button on the window
(ctrl-alt-button1 seems empty and would be consistent with the
keyboard navigation)

way to remove the submenu ;)

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi