Re: Moving dot files to ~/.etc

Użytkownik George Farris napisał:
On Tue, 2004-09-11 at 11:54 -0500, John wrote:

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:02:51PM +0100, Marcin Krzyzanowski wrote:

hardcoded directory is not the best solution.
We at PLD [ http://www.pld-linux.org ] promote HOME_ETC
[ ftp://ftp.pld-linux.org/people/siefca/distfiles/ ] solution.

Maybe support for HOME_ETC can be a good way ?

Short: this is a support for env. HOME_ETC pointed to directory where user want to store configuration data. It may easly supported by small changes in sources, or using this libhome_etc.so to return directory.
If no HOME_ETC is set, default location should be used.

I like that.  That's a very elegant way to deal with the issue.  Has
anyone at PLD suggested that to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard group?
(http://www.google.com/search?q=fhs&x=0&y=0)

Thanks for letting me know about that!
John Karcz

But why not follow the freedesktop.org standard?

This is solution not for desktop applications only, and is developed for long time, however we do not use it with GNOME as we just afraid about some hardcoded paths and it's a lot of work.

However if freedesktop define it, GNOME should use basedir-spec, if there is _any_ standard implemented.. move or translate to other can be don automatically.

Regards.

--
Marcin Krzyżanowski