Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10

On Tue, 1 Nov 2004, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> From: Jonathan Blandford <jrb redhat com>
> Subject: Re: Proposing gwget for Gnome 2.10
>
> David Sedeño Fernández <david alderia com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose gwget for Gnome 2.10 inclusion.
>
> I don't think a separate download manager is really useful for the GNOME
> desktop.  Users almost never run into URIs by themselves -- they are

I don't agree. While I have not looked at gwget, I think adding a
daemon to gnome-vfs, which handles gnome-vfs-xfers, would be quite use-
full. Add to that a notification icon or applet, which opens a dialog
box with the progress of all the downloads. You would a) have a consis-
tent user interface for _all_ your downloads (which would be a big pro
compared to windows), and, if for some reason your browser segfaults, it
won't take all your downloads with it. Also it adds to advantage of be-
ing able to prioritize downloads and stuff like that.

> almost always encountered in some context, such as web-browsing or
> email.  Epiphany's download manager is quite good.  I don't see what a
> separate application in addition to that adds.
>
> Rather than a download manager, I'd much rather see better and more
> consistent support for gnome-vfs in the core desktop applications.  All
> our applications should support loading files and saving (where
> appropriate) from remote places.  I've wanted to see a libgnomevfsui for
> a while now, and think that dialogs along these lines would be really
> useful.  In particular, I'd like to see a consistent user dialogs and
> experiences for:

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."