Re: Proposal: replacing esound with polypaudio in 2.10

On Tue, 02.11.04 12:14, Callum McKenzie (callum physics otago ac nz) wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 23:44 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > It's funny how many people seem to be interested in an ESD
> > backend. Although I consider this a bad idea (you loose most of what
> > you gain through using polypaudio by using it on top of esd), I will
> > eventually add a driver for it. Unfortunately my todo list is
> > currently jammed with items regarding polypaudio.
> The only thing an ESD back-end would offer is the guarantee that GNOME
> supports all the operating systems it previously did. This is very
> important from the perspective of the GNOME project as a whole. We can't
> afford to have regressions, even if it is for a "minority" operating
> system with no developer with enough knowledge and time to make a
> polyaudio back-end before 2.10.
>
> I agree that technically it is a crappy idea, but I was thinking of a
> quick hack to keep things going rather than a good solution.

Sure. I will do that.

What exactly is the list of operating system Gnome 2.10 is expected to
work out of the box on? i.e. what is the list of OSs I ideally should
port polypaudio to and test it on?

Lennart

--
name { Lennart Poettering } loc { Hamburg - Germany }
mail { mzft (at) 0pointer (dot) de } gpg { 1A015CC4 }