Re: goobox

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 08:59, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 00:04 +0100, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > Now, it isn't perfect yet. Here's some things that I noted to be
> > imperfect:
> > * mixed data/audio CDs are reported as data CD and it will fail to play
> > those.
> > * you include the bacon CD widget rather than linking to
> > nautilus-cd-burner.
> > * the CD code is Linux-specific and will need to be ported (again! Poor
> > them BSD people...) to BSD (and Solaris, I guess).
> > * doesn't use gnome-media audio profiles, afaics.
>
> Can't these just be fixed by stuffing it's mouth full'o'gstreamer?

Not really, since we are just the media backend. We implement cdparanoia
functionality. We, however, don't provide hardware access to the CD
drive. So the application still needs to do that itself. That's, at
least, what all CD-player applications using GStreamer have done so far.
There is some duplication of code concerning this right now, I don't
have any clear plan on how to fix that. We could either add it to
GStreamer, or add it to nautilus-CD-burner. The thing is that if we add
it to GStreamer, we would sort-of assume that (non-media-related) GNOME
applications handling the CD tray would suddenly start depending on
GStreamer and its cdparanoia plugin, which doesn't sound like a good
idea to me.

> I choose to naively believe every media problem we encounter can be
> somehow solved by gstreamer.

It can, but it's not always the best idea.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>