Re: what's going on with menus?

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-05-23 at 17:38, Christian Neumair wrote:
> Am Mi, den 19.05.2004 um 11:41 Uhr -0500 schrieb Brian Cameron:
>
> > I really like the proposal.  Another feature that might be worth
> > considering would be to allow menu profiles, so that different types
> > of users could have different default menus.  A person who works
> > with office productivity applications might desire a different
> > menu than a software developer.  A person with accessibility needs
> > might want a menu that only shows programs that work with the
> > accessibility framework, etc.  This way default menus could be
> > set up for different types of users, rather than requiring each
> > individual user to set up their own menu to achieve this sort of
> > effect.  Just a thought.
>
> Although at a first glance this may sound like a good idea, I think this
> would be overhead. Why can't these two persons, who have different
> needs, simply use their own user accounts?

	This falls under the general problem you see in large enterprise
deployments. Admins like to be able to configure the desktop differently
for users based on the role of that user.

	e.g. users in the call-center would have the issue tracking application
in their menu, but sales staff would have the customer database
application in their menu.

	Brian isn't suggesting a single user would be able to switch between
profiles.

Cheers,
Mark.