Re: Gnome 2.6: What were you thinking?

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:38:00PM +0100, jamie wrote:

> I do like spatial mode for file management and it works great. The only
> snag is when you have to drill down many folders to get where you want
> and unless you know about using the shift key then things will quickly
> become messy for novice users.

Deep hierrachies -> advanced usage -> not totaly obvious features
(Modifier keys or middle click, Close Parent Folders)

> My request for changing default behaviour is based on this and also that
> from a usability point of view the most commonly used stuff should be
> based on the left click.

Are you sure it is or should be most commonly used? And I think consistency
is more important (at least in this case). Left opens Files in new windows,
so it should do the same for folders.

> Separate tabs are no different to separate windows from a spatial point
> of view - the theory still holds.

The window is the folder. With tabs like in Gedit, a window could be 2
or more folders. Breaks the model. Only WM level tabbing of complete
windows would fit in.

---
Thorsten Wilms