Re: Privacy

On 22/03/04 19:50, Bill Haneman wrote:

Is there something we could cook up with XNest which would give both
the ability to "borrow" parts of the desktop and still allow some degree of security to the "temporary" user? I agree that eventually this needs to be dealt with in X either via session-persisting/hibernation, multiple (full-blown) X servers, or multiple "trust" levels of X windows/connections... but in the meantime, perhaps running XNest in an environment that prevents clients of
the other server from snooping could be a workable alternative.  I guess
the XNest window would have to grab the host server or something...

The X security model is supposed to be able to do this. Since Xnest is just an X application, it could theoretically take advantage of it. The default security policy is in /etc/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy on my system.

The problem is that no one uses it seriously, so it may have security holes ...

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/