Re: Release Team Meeting 2004-03-04

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 13:19, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Just in case people didn't see the other emails, and in case there might
> be any doubt, please note that this suggested delay did not happen,
> because the GTK+ maintainers decided not to break the API. So, the
> schedule is still what the schedule says.

Just to clarify, we made a change which doesn't break the ABI.
Applications won't need to be modified or recompiled.

The following functions now have a gboolean return value rather than
void:
        gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder
        gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder_uri
        gtk_file_chooset_select_filename
        gtk_file_chooser_select_uri
        gtk_file_chooser_set_filename
        gtk_file_chooser_set_uri

And I made these internal APIs return gboolean and take in a GError:

        _gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder_path
        _gtk_file_chooser_select_path

There are the corresponding changes in the private GtkFileChooserIface.

Functions like gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder() simply return the
value that the underlying function returns, e.g.
_gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder_path(), and they don't use a
GError.  In the future we may want to have functions with a _checked
suffix that do export the GError information.

People who use the functions listed above don't need to recompile or
modify their programs.  They may still want to make use of the boolean
return value, however, if they wish to pop up an error dialog or
otherwise fall back to doing other things.

  Federico