Re: Which program should save window geometries?

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:02:06AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 06:38, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> > Was there ever a decision about how window geometries should
> > be saved? Which should save: the apps, or the window manager?
> >
> > In either case, where are the guidelines for application
> > authors?
>
> The default answer is applications because there's no way for the WM to
> do it right now. There are some advantages to the WM doing it but there
> was never resolution on wm-spec-list on how it should all work.

What are the advantages?

> I'd like to see an API in GTK that abstracts it, then we can just use
> that and if the WM stuff ever appears take advantage of it.

I agree with what Lubos said in Jan. 2003 (WM_CLASS and WM_WINDOW_ROLE
should be enough), but I think we'd need a common form for specifying
the role. Roles lacking the form, or with a special indicator, could
be interpreted as "don't save my geometry". The form would also have
to provide some way of determining that a saved geometry can be tossed.

However geometry saving is done, we still need to know for which
windows it should be done (an HCI question) and how it should be done
(an API question).

Cheers,
Greg