how to create new protocol handler for irc:// ?

Howdy all.  Just wondering how one would go about creating a protocol
handler for something like irc?  I noticed when visiting a webpage last
night that they had irc://server/channel links which I thought would be
pretty cool to have work under gnome and be able to start up xchat with
that.  Is this something that you'd have to go into gnome-vfs territory
for, or what?

TIA

alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"There are only 3 real sports: bull-fighting, car racing and mountain