Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Sad, 2004-06-26 at 01:05, Mike Hearn wrote:
> I'm not 100% sure, Alan can correct me, but I'm guessing that for a
> large packed file the number of seeks will still be > 1 because of file
> fragmentation anyway. Really it's just about how you arrange your
> abstractions.

One seek for the metadata one seek to get to the data, then it depends
on the disk at the time. Ext3 is pretty smart about this as is the BSD
FFS/UFS. I don't know enough about Solaris to speculate but if its UFS
based I'd expect its quite possibly no further seeks if its under 1Mbyte
or so, maybe more - and the disk has plenty of space.