Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

--- Alan Cox <alan lxorguk ukuu org uk> wrote: > On Gwe, 2004-06-25 at 14:53, Danilo
Å egan wrote:
> > The speed increase is exactly in taking advantage of "staticness" of
> > the content, at least I guess so (I didn't look at the "packer").
> > It's probably based on having a *one-time* slow step of packing, and
> > having fast accesses afterwards.
>
> The packer performance is approximately the same as that of Gnome
> seek time).

So why not use a standard packing mechanism like say zip, especially as everyby s
realistcly going to have zlib mapped anyways instead of creating a new packing
format?