Re: PROPOSAL: GNOME Volume Manager for GNOME 2.8

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 16:23 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> Why does this tutorial here  requires gnome-python2?
> http://freedesktop.org/Software/ProjectUtopiaBuildDebian

The (optional) hardware browser uses it.

> AFAIK, python-gnome2/pyGTK is not even part of the Gnome Binding project
> (yet) and *most* linux distros don't ship with these bindings (let alone
> non-Linux OSes).

Well, I know that Fedora and SUSE ship them, and I bet Debian unstable
or whatever it is that people are using today have them.  But it's
optional, so it's not a big deal.

> Even if the python bindings are not really needed, there should be some more
> discussion as to how BSDs, IRIX, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and Darwin/PPC will be
> able to run Gnome if HAL/udev/etc will be really needed by the core and no
> fallbacks are given.

I don't think anyone suggested removing fallbacks at all, let alone in
the short term.  I'd love to support all those OSes, but the simple fact
is that the people who want HAL to run on those systems need to do the
hard work.

We've had the portability vs. features fight in the past and portability
always loses.  (But it always eventually catches up)

Joe