Re: GNOME PPP

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:08:04PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Vladimir, would you consider proposing GNOME PPP for GNOME 2.8? Would it
> work alongside and/or integrate with GNOME System Tools, if we decided to
> ship it?

I'd agree with Ross. The right thing to do is either a PPP application
that integrates with the distribution provided PPP setup stuff (which
allows for the distribution to provide their own Gnomified setup tools),
or drive pppd directly rather than mess about with an unnecessary
intermediate application. I have some rough code that provides a panel
applet that can simply call whatever "up" and "down" commands are
provided by the distribution. wvdial is Linux specific, and as far as I
know the current incarnation of gnome-ppp would introduce a dependency
on it.

(Not to mention seeming screaming UI horrors such as "Check carrier
line" and "Stupid mode" - what do these actually mean? "Stupid mode" is
wvdial specific and signifies that the endpoint doesn't automtically
start a PPP session or something, but it's really something that should
be enabled by default. wvdial is excessively obsessed with implementing
things correctly rather than Just Working, in my experience)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org