menu sanity in GNOME (was: Proposed: evolution)

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 04:52 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> This is just wrong. They have quite a bit of meaning. How many Windows
> (TM) users go to look for "Spreadsheet" or "Word Processor"? They don't.
> They look for "Excel" or "Word". If I have 5 different "Web Browsers"
> installed and showing up in my menu, all with the same icon, how am I
> supposed to know which is which? We really need to keep project names
> around for things like this. And yes, we are working to make evolution
> simpler, but we are now UI/String frozen for 2.0. Not that there should
> not be multiple desktop entries for each major component (having one for
> exchange or brainread probably doesn't make sense), which show up as
> "Evolution Mail" or "Evolution Calendar". In fact, there is a patch
> lying around somewhere that does exactly that. But saying that generic
> names is the only way to go doesn't make sense, especially when in a
> standard environment, the user probably has several choices for what
> to use as their web browser, mail client, address book, instant
> messenger, or whatever.

I've felt for a while now that GNOME needs to adopt a standardised "two
idea description" (which would usually come down to three English
words), something like:
	Epiphany Web Browser
	Galeon Web Browser
	Evolution Calendar
	Balsa Email Client
	Gnumeric Spreadsheets
	OpenOffice.org Writer Word Processor
	Abiword Word Processor
	Mr Project Project Management

This obviously doesn't apply to some things, eg:
	GNOME Keyring Manager
	On Screen Keyboard

Also, since Nautilus has such a deep integration with the desktop,
Browse Files, should probably stay the same.

I mentioned some of my thoughts on menu layouts previously in this post:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-
June/msg00302.html

--d

--
http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://davyd.ucc.asn.au/pgp>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA