Re: Proposed: evolution

(sorry for the delay, our email was buggered yesterday)

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:04 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> A long list of special waivers? Thus far it's:
>
>   * Evolution does not use the GTK+ 2.4 FileChooser, but the developers have
>     noted that they are 100% willing to take a nicely #ifdefed patch before
>     the 2.8 release.

We have Carlos' patch for this and it will be in during the next day or
two.  We do use GnomeFileEntry however, which is not deprecated and does
not use the new file selector afaict.

>   * Evolution's bugs are not in GNOME's bugzilla, and it would require quite
>     a large chunk of integration work to make this happen, despite a stated
>     desire that everyone (including the Evolution team) want it to happen.
>     Our bugmaster feels that it's not a blocker for 2.8, but is working to
>     make it happen ASAP.

Yes, we desire to make this happen.  It might even be possible to make
it happen before the official 2.8 release, but we can't guarantee that
nor could we possibly make it happen during this discussion phase.

> There's also the unresolved copyright assignment question, but it's just
> that: unresolved.

Was this considered at all for mozilla, doesn't it require assignment?

> > What sense does it make to put a module into teh desktop that not just
> > doesn't meet the same requirements that are expected from others but
> > actually actively resists making such chanegs?
>
> The Evolution team have *at no time* actively resisted any changes involved
> in becoming a first-class member of the GNOME Desktop. What you've said is
> fundamentally incorrect, and I would say, unfair.

We may have resisted things at times due to time constraints or such
(Dan's email covers this), making DISABLE_DEPRECATED work on 1000k loc
is non trival.  Ultimately we don't want to resist using the new GNOME
features, we want to be in the mix testing them, since I want to think
e-d-s will be part of the bleeding edge feature set as well moving
forward.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>