Re: new module: eggcups

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 19:20 +0100, Andrew Sobala wrote:

> So eggcups is functionally equivalent to gnome-cups-icon, the
> notification-area part of gnome-cups-manager, but it works via D-BUS
> instead of through (presumably, I'm guessing this is what g-c-i does)
> polling. Is that right?

That's a good question.  On a very high level, yes - they are both tray
icons dealing with printing.  However, gnome-cups-icon actually displays
multiple icons, one for each printer.  It keeps track of the state of a
printer as a whole, not a particular user's jobs.  Clicking on an icon
brings up a list of jobs on that printer.  So in other words, it's very
printer-oriented.

Eggcups on the other hand *only* keeps track of the user's jobs.  It
provides no facility for viewing or administering of other jobs.  It's
very user-job oriented.   Also on a technical level, I think eggcups
more efficient because it doesn't have to poll all printers all the time
in order to keep track of printer state.  It only starts polling a
particular job on a particular printer when you submit it, and when it
completes, it stops polling.  For local printers this probably doesn't
matter, but in a large organization with a number of networked printers,
I think it is important.

So they're quite different approaches, both from a user-interface
perspective and a technical perspective.