Re: Removing all desktop icons in 2.6.0?

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 23:03 -0400, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> I haven't been able to find any information about the following
> question.  I hope that I'm coming to the right place to get an answer
> ... or at least for someone to point me to the documentation that covers
> the case that I mention here:
>
> I'm using Gnome 2.6.0 under Fedora Core 2, and I'd like to use all the
> features of Gnome except for one: I want no icons at all on my desktop.
>
> I know that I can get rid of them as follows:
>
>   rm -rf ~/Desktop
>   touch ~/Desktop
>   chmod 000 ~/Desktop
>
> ... and then log out and log in again.
>
> But that's an ugly hack, and it causes an error box to pop up when I log
> back in.
>
> I looked through everything that is changeable via gconf-edit, but
> nothing there seemed to have anything to do with eliminating desktop
> icons.
>
> I know that I can switch to KDE or to use a different window manager,
> but I'd like to use Gnome if at all possible.
>
> Is there a recommended and proper way to remove all desktop icons under
> Gnome without my having to resort to the extreme measures that I
> outlined above?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You can change the gconf key /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
That will make nautilus not use the desktop for anything. I think you'll
lose, in particular, the desktop context menu, though.

HTH,

-- m

--
Mariano Suárez-Alvarez <msuarezalvarez arnet com ar>
http://www.gnome.org/~mariano