Proto initial GNOME 2.6 new modules decision

The release team has discussed the proposed new modules over the last few
weeks and has
compiled this list, which hopefully represents a consensus of the input
we've
received about each of the proposed modules.

This list will become the official new modules list for GNOME 2.5.x, which
will become GNOME 2.6.

In:

Note that all of these apps must continue to meet the standards of quality
laid out in GEP 10, ( http://developer.gnome.org/gep/gep-10.html ) or they
may be removed prior to the final 2.6 release. We would not expect that to
happen very often though.

  Dasher
    (We have mostly delegated to the accessibility team here. They say
    that it fills a large need, and that it's being integrated into the
    rest of the GNOME accessibility infrastructure.)

  Evolution, evolution-data-server, gal, gtkhtml3:
    (Obviously it would be nice to unify gtkhtml2, gtkhml3, and mozilla
    when possible.)

  gnome-keyring
    (Already in, as a gnome-vfs dependency, with strong community support.)

  gnome-netstatus:
    (We would like a merge with gnome-applets, but that's not mandatory.)

  libxklavier
    (Already in, as a gnome-control-center dependency, with strong
    community support.)

  Switchit
    (Already in, merged with gnome-control-center, with strong community
    support.)

Out:

As far as we can tell, the community feels that it is not yet clear how
these modules would significantly help _users_ with their goals. This does
not mean that they are not wonderful software, with satisfied user. It just
means that they don't seem appropriate for the particular needs of the GNOME
Desktop at this time.

  gdesklets
  gmodconfig
  monkey-bubble
  mozilla-bonobo

These modules do not seem to have a clear plan for future development, or
are currently undergoing major changes:

  gksu (Maybe this should be proposed for the Platform in future)
  libgnetwork (Maybe this should be proposed for the Platform in future)
  gnome-network

Note that none of the "Out" modules were discussed on desktop-devel-list as
much as we would have liked.

Undecided so-far:

We hope to have a decision about these modules as soon as possible:

  gnome-system-tools
  Rhythmbox

Thanks to all the maintainers who proposed their modules, and the many GNOME
contributors who took part in the discussions.

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net