Re: modules using older versions of egg api

n Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:03:28PM -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 10:15, Kjartan Maraas wrote:
>
> > I've been looking at egg-recent usage and found that a couple of modules
> > aren't using the latest version of egg-recent-item.[ch] from libegg.
>
> Since libegg is for cut&paste code, this is inevitable.
>
> Isn't it time to move some stuff from libegg to the core libraries?  I
> know we are API-frozen and all, but this would be a good time to add
> APIs that have been reasonably well-tested like the recent files stuff.

Please, do not update your version of recent-files from libegg.
It contains unfinished work by snorp. As he said me on #gnome-hackers, he
will revert the unfinished bits, so wait for him before updating.

I don't think we should move the current recent-files implementation to the core
libraries for several reasons: the API is not documented and it needs to be cleaned up,
the "standard" has problems that prevent the panel to launch the right app when
opening a recent file, the implementation has several performance problems
(on my PC, it takes about 0.5 secs to add a new recent file)
and a possible deadlock due to the way it manages file locking, etc.

I have discussed these problems with James (aka snorp) and we are working on a new
version of the standard that will solve the problem with the panel (I still have
to post it to freedesktop.org, but you can see an example file on
http://www.gnome.org/~paolo/files/recently-used-files ).

I'm also working on a new implementation and on a new API. I hope to have it ready in time
for 2.7.0 so that we will have time to evaluate and test it for inclusion in 2.8.

If dbus will be included in 2.8, my implementation will be based on it.

The gtk+ implementation of the view will be based on the new gtk+ API for menus.

Ciao,
Paolo