Re: Proposed: gDesklets

<quote who="Martin Grimme">

> I totally agree that gDesklets is not yet in a state where it should be
> included with the main desktop. There are still some rough edges left.
> Things are getting better with every release, though.
>
> I have some major changes/additions (preserving backward compatibility) in
> mind for the near future, so it might be better to await these before
> including it into the desktop release.

Okay, I think that if you're happy with this, then we can probably finish
the gDesklets-in-2.6 discussion here. :-)

> I would love to see gDesklets in a geektoys release, however.  Maybe along
> with expocity, hehe. :)

Cool. ;-) I might put some time into geektoys after 2.6, or find someone
who's keen to do it. :-)

> > Interesting extra dependencies: python, pygtk and friends
>
> These should be included in the desktop & developer release IMHO,
> since Python is a great language for creating object oriented GNOME
> applications. Btw, Redhat and Ximian use the Python+PyGTK combo
> extensively, too (RedCarpet, Redhat administration tools, Anaconda
> installer, ...)
> Having language bindings for popular languages (C is not really
> that popular anymore), we could see a lot more GNOME applications.
> So at least bindings for C++, Python, C# should be included with
> GNOME in the near future; maybe in 2.8.

I think the first release vector for all of these will be Murray's Language
Bindings release, which is a really awesome start. Once we have modules
depending on the bindings in the desktop (maybe gDesklets!) then we'll have
to revisit the bindings-in-Desktop discussion. I'm, um, not really looking
forward to that one. ;-)

Thanks Martin,

- Jeff

   "Instead you're doing circle jerks with the Care Bears of Censorship."
                            - Siduri on Slashdot