Re: Translations, GNOME and KDE

Hey,

> I've been chatting with Kenneth about this off-list, particularly about
> 'Translation Project' style web interfaces - it seems a lot of translators
> do their work on Windows, aren't adept with traditional editing tools on
> Linux, and so on. We have to help them.

This almost hits the nail on the head from my perspective, and I'm
really beginning to see potential issues of scalability with our
software and processes, as much as I'm in awe of the amazing work done
by the translation teams. It's becoming increasingly clear that the
numbers of strings are increasing with each release, and it seems hard
to understand if we can sustain the efforts of the various teams.

I see to remember much discussion on gnome-i18n list about changing this

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-i18n/2003-October/thread.html

Maybe it's worth revisiting the thread. Without sounding like a complete
corporate whore, companies like Sun [and I'm sure many, many others]
deal with 1,000,000's of strings on a daily basis such that translation
architecture/software has become a hugely important issue - with
improved software and processes saving millions of dollars.

I'd encourage the people who know about this stuff to get involved,
lower the pride barriers and work towards a better future. Perhaps I'm
being overly naive about this though ;)

Glynn