Re: Remote Desktop - new name?

On Monday 16 February 2004 20:12, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> I'm writing documentation on remote desktop. I think we should avoid the
> use of the term "desktop" in this functionality. "Desktop" as a term is
> already overloaded with meanings, and I think it is best to avoid it to
> avoid user confusion around this term (to read the discussions on the
> desktop terms, see the archives for this list).
>
> So, what to use instead? The options that come immediately to mind for
> me are "session" and "display".
>
> display: A visual representation of information on a computer screen. A
> display is created on a display device, such as a screen, by a display
> manager application, such as GNOME Display Manager (GDM).
>
> session: A series of interactions that begins when a user logs in to the
> GNOME Desktop, and ends when the user logs out of the GNOME Desktop.
>
> I don't think display is a suitable replacement for desktop. For me,
> display suggests that all that is being accessed is the visual
> component, but the user is allowing someone to view or control their
> GNOME Desktop. So I think session is a more suitable term here. It
> conveys that the one who is allowed to view or control will be able to
> interact with the session.

You're right the term 'Desktop' is loaded, but I think that the user (reader)
understands the term.

The best, IMO, is to stay with 'Remote Desktop'.

Examples:
Connect to the shared 'Remote Desktop' from your 'Local Desktop'.

From your 'Local Desktop Session', start a 'Remote Session' with a host that
has a shared 'Remote Desktop'.

To enable remote control of your desktop, select 'Allow Remote Control'. Once
this is done users located on remote computers can use 'Connect to Host' to
create a 'Remote Desktop Session' with your host and session.

Switch between the 'Remote Session' and the 'Local Session'.

Switch between Local and Remote Sessions.

This should be clear to most users, but to be sure perhaps clarify or define
your use of terminology up front.

--
Sean Wheller