Re: building libgtop

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 02:22 -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to build gnome from cvs using jhbuild, but I get the following
> when trying to build libgtop in particular.  Any ideas are highly
> appreciated.
>
> Rgds,
> Eugenia
>

> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome2/
> /usr/bin/gnome-autogen.sh
> checking for autoconf >= 2.57...
>   testing autoconf2.50... not found.
>   testing autoconf... found 2.57
> checking for automake >= 1.7...
>   testing automake-1.7... found 1.7.8
> checking for libtool >= 1.4.3...
>   testing libtoolize... found 1.4.3
> checking for glib-gettext >= 2.2.0...
>   testing glib-gettextize... found 2.2.3
> checking for pkg-config >= 0.14.0...
>   testing pkg-config... found 0.15.0
> Checking for required M4 macros...
> Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
> Processing ./configure.in
> Running aclocal-1.7...
> Running libtoolize...
> Running glib-gettextize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
> Copying file po/Makefile.in.in
>
> Please add the files
>   codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
>   progtest.m4
> from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
> or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
> You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.
>
> Running autoheader...
> WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
> WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
> WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.
>
> WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
> WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
> WARNING: `acconfig.h':
>
> WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
> WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])
>
> WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
> WARNING: documentation.
> Running automake-1.7...
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: Assembler source seen but `CCAS' is undefined
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am:
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: The usual way to define `CCAS' is to add
> `AM_PROG_AS'
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: to `configure.in' and run `aclocal' and
> `autoconf' again.
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: Assembler source seen but `CCASFLAGS' is
> undefined
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am:
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: The usual way to define `CCASFLAGS' is to add
> `AM_PROG_AS'
> sysdeps/kernel/Makefile.am: to `configure.in' and run `aclocal' and
> `autoconf' again.

This is a classic aclocal/automake version issue that should be resolved
by demanding for specific aclocal/automake versions which is IMO planned
for gnome-common, but won't be in GNOME 2.6.
The problem here is that aclocal-1.4 doesn't complain about possible
CFLAGS redifinitions in Makefile.am while 1.7 requires you to do this
using a special variable (AM_CFLAGS). Unfortunately ac 1.4 doesn't know
the AM_PROG_AS macro that 1.7 needs for inodedb_SRCLIST / inodedb_DEFS
which seems to be treated as asm code.
I don't know what to do about it. For the moment, you could manually re-
run the 1.4 tools in this dir and manually execute autoconf.

regs,
 Chris