Re: Please change translator_credits

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 08:20, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 16:18, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 14:27, Ole Laursen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm going to make this short:
> > >
> > >   if your program contains the string "translator_credits", please
> > >   change it to "translator-credits" i.e. replace '_' with '-'.
> > >

> > > The problem is that the translator tools think that the underscore is
> > > an accelerator. So we get bogus warnings about missing accelerators
> > > since the translations usually don't include the underscore. There's
> > > an ongoing discussion on gnome-i18n about this.
> >
> > So this email comes the day after string freeze.  Are we allowed to make
> > this change?
>
> Given that string freeze is to help the translators, if the translators
> want this, they get it. :)

One thing I would ask, though (and this is going to sound mean), is that
whoever changes the string does a rebuild and checks that the package
works properly afterwards. In particular, the thing I am worried about
is that the string "translator_credits" sometimes appears in two places:
once marked for translation and once somewhere around the
gnome_about_new() call to check if the localised version of the string
has really changed -- if it hasn't changed, no translator tab is
displayed.

I am thinking that sometimes the second occurrence will be missed and we
will a bogus translator tab (which will contain the string
"translator-credits") in the C locale.

Malcolm