Re: Default browser.

> If this is true why does the preferred applications dialog only change
> /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http?
>
> I guess that the preferred applications dialog shouldn't even touch the
> url-handlers key then. But I would be very annoyed if it didn't when I
> changed there (ie. I don't want to change both my preferred browser and
> my http url handler).
>
> My /deskop/applications/browser key is set to mozilla and I can't
> remember any program ever using this key (since nothing has started
> mozilla on my desktop. There is also no way (that I have found) to set
> this key from the control center.

The correct thing to use is indeed the /deskop/applications/browser key.

The difference is that you always have a default/preferred browser, but
you might not have it set as the url handler. That's because you may
want gnome-vfs to launch the associated application for the file that a
http uri points to.

For example, type this into the run dialog:

http://www.google.ca/intl/en_ca/images/logo.gif

If you have a http url handler setup this will open in the handler, most
likely a web browser. If I disable the url handler, then for me it opens
in the Gimp.

So, I think the default applications dialog should set the
/deskop/applications/browser key and it should also set the http/https
url handler keys. For most users that would be the expected setup, power
users can always disable the url handler using gconf-editor.

I would consider it a bug that the preferred applications dialog doesn't
change the /deskop/applications/browser key right now.

HTH,

- Frank