Re: Scripting in Gnome

On 06/02/04 02:16, Jody Goldberg wrote:

I'd lean toward something like swig to generate interface code.

I would lean away from swig for this kind of problem :) In fact, I would lean away from any solution that involved generating per-interface wrapper code for dynamic languages where we should be able to do this at runtime. PyORBit is an example of the type of infrastructure I would like to see:

   * only a fixed amount of language-specific code required to support
     pretty much all possible interfaces
   * Ability to get a description of type of an instance.  Simple C
     structs suffice here, as shown by ORBit2's IInterface code.
   * Some way to hook up the language's calling conventions to the
     scripting framework (see ORBit2's ORBit_small_invoke_stub() as an
     example).

I am not trying to push CORBA in particular here -- I realise that it is a pain to use from C, and ORBit's default object adapter requires that you deal with reentrancy issues -- but I wouldn't like to lose it's good points if we settle on some other framework.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/