Re: Scripting in Gnome

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 19:10, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 06:38:31PM +0000, jamie wrote:

> > A nice componentised  OO interface which is truly language independant
> > and fast - is that too much to ask for?
>
> certainly not.  We'd all like to see something with those
> properties.  The question at hand is _how_ not _if_.

Well I come form an windows background and having used COM extensively I
can say that its fast and effortless to use. Theres no significant
performance penalty using it and creating COM units is dead easy.

So anything MS can do, Linux can do better, right?

> > I am hoping D-Bus will come to the rescue...
>
> That seems to answer a completely different set of issues.
> Why would you want to use it as a transport mechanism ?

Because its gonna be a system wide feature across all the desktops. I'm
guessing (hoping) there will be an object framework for it so that
components can be used in KDE and Gnome. D-bus developers are currently
asking what's needed so I might let then know...

jamie.