Re: GTK+ performance issues was Re: GTK+ (Was: Evolution 2.0 and GNOME 2.6)

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 15:12 -0800, Sri Ramkrishna wrote:
> Please respond to this thread so the rest of us can continue with other
> stories if we are not interested. :D

As for the menu redrawing, I'm having the same problem with Nautilus and
just played around a bit. While doing that, I made a _very_ weird
observation. First of all, it only really happens on the desktop, if I
right click on a folder window, it's very fast, but when I right click
on the desktop, I very clearly see a gray empty menu for about one tenth
of a second before the text appears.
But now for the weird part: When the desktop is _not_ already selected
and I right click on the desktop, most of the times the menu appears
instantly. So for some obscure reason, the focus switch actually seems
to speed up the issue. No, I'm neither drunk nor stoned, this is really
happening and maybe it might give a hint on what is causing the delay or
how it could be fixed? Notice that it doesn't just show the entire menu
at once, it also shows it without any delay, so the delay between
rendering the gray menu background and the actual text must come from
something that is avoidable.
Sometimes I also saw Nautilus adding menu items while it was already
visible, that obviously looked very bad. Unfortunately I can't reproduce
that and I'm also not sure if it still happens with the latest version.

$ rpm -q gtk2 nautilus
gtk2-2.3.2-1
nautilus-2.5.4-1

Daniel