Re: G2.10 Module Proposal: Sound Juicer

On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 14:20 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm belatedly proposing Sound Juicer for GNOME 2.10.
>
> Sound Juicer is a CD ripper which is HIG-compliant, uses GStreamer,
> supports the GNOME audio profiles, and generally rocks.
>
> My long-term plans are to possibly integrate CD playing into the
> interface[1] so that SJ can replace gnome-cd, and to add metadata lookup
> via FreeDB.  There are also patches floating around to re-create
> audiocd:/// so that users can drag and drop encoded files in Nautilus.
> Whether this is a good idea is debatable.
>
> Let the battle commence.
>
> Ross
>
> [1] http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/sound-juicer/sj-20040917

I personally think that a sound-juicer that can play CDs would be a good
replacement for our current cd player.

But
1. I don't see a great reason to add sound-juicer to the GNOME Desktop
before it can be that replacement.
2. It doesn't look like that functionality will be implemented in time
for the feature freeze on January 10th.
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.9/
3. I haven't seen any consultation with the usability team, for this or
any other new module. I could be wrong, but it would make life easier if
we got a little status report about that.

goobox might be further along in some ways, but I think life will be
easier if we can have sound juicer in GNOME 2.10 instead, given that so
many distros are already distributing it as their main cd-ripping
application.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com