Re: easy login time win

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 22:38 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> The basic situation here is that optimizing the parser can't possibly be
> a big win; we need to avoid loading the zillion translations.
> Avoiding the parsing entirely is the way to save a really noticeable
> amount of time.

	Out of interest; are we storing the zillion translations in memory ? we
saved a nice chunk of space with b-a-s when we incrementally added
translations as necessary on-demand by re-parsing [ a very rare
use-case ].

	I guess, the most obvious thing to do is to a) glup lots of small files
together, and then b) split them up into lots of small files again on
translation lines :-)

	Either way; we see the same parsing performance problems with the
gnome-mime-data (only ~300ms on start though), and I guess
ultimately .desktop files too.

	HTH,

		Michael.

--
 michael meeks novell com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot