Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 18:46 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Yes, but ~/Public *is* user documents and data just as ~/Desktop is.
(...)
> $HOME should not be used for "implementation detail" files, with the
> exception of dotfiles. Only user-should-care files. But ~/Public should
> contain user-should-care files, so it makes sense in a $HOME non-
> dotfile.

Still imposing specific visible directories (~/Templates is still a huge
sore barely avoidable with the ~/.hidden hack; why add more)?

It makes a _lot_ more sense to just mark a certain directory as shared,
launch a "sharing server" (like an httpd with a specific conf file for
listening on high ports, etc...) than forcing a specific diretory,
loosing more and more flexibility.

Usability-wise it's still much simpler to have Desktop == $HOME (bad
apps? Fix them. Can't because they're non-Free? Too bad...) but that is
luckily easy to fix. Templates is not as simple, but I'd hope that GNOME
wouldn't come to commit the same sin that is used as justification for
not using Desktop==$HOME by default.

Rui