Re: Proposal: gnome-user-share

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 00:06 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:

> Simply introducing another instance of the issue is not getting us
> closer to solving the problem, nor should we endorse such approach.

We have to solve it for Desktop so we can just assume Public is done the
same way.

Why not just hack g_filename_display_name() to call gettext
("Public")/gettext ("Desktop") if it sees ~/Public or ~/Desktop.

Simple, fast, and works in the important cases. It doesn't work in some
corner cases:
 - symlinks (and adding stat() calls or something to fix this seems bad)
 - accessing someone else's homedir

But, I think it's fine to punt those cases.

A gconf key to let you configure the directory has worse results than
those corner cases: it results in people not using the right directory,
and just generally adds a piece of complexity to the system that history
has shown will tend to break.

.directory files also had worse results than these corner cases: they
made everything slow, and there's the question of when you create them
and whether they ever get updated with new translations and so forth.
More complexity.

Better a nice, reliable hack than some overengineered thing, I bet.

Havoc