Re: help needed: window focus bugs

Thanks for the reply Elijah.  I know you and Rob do try and give some
thought to the accessibility issues, and it's much appreciated.

I have two main thoughts about the proposed change to focus behavior.
One, since it's new and complex, we don't really have enough experience
to say what will break.  Secondly, though the DEMANDS_ATTENTION hint
will probably be very useful to accessibility, doing anything useful
with it at this time would require new API in at-spi and new code.  So
I'd really prefer not to see this in 2.8.0 unless there's an on/off
switch available in the DesktopPreferences->Window capplet or at least a
gconf-only setting.

I do know that sometimes the current "new-window-gets-focus" behavior
can be annoying, and in other scenarios the alternative
"new-window-doesn't-get-focus" could be a serious accessibility
blocker.  It might be that we don't need to turn this feature off, it
might be that DEMANDS_ATTENTION is better than always focussing, we just
don't know enough to say, right now.  And I don't know anyone with
enough time on their hands (and a11y expertise) to thoroughly check
before 2.8.0 is released.

best regards,

Bill